Audit: Town of Baldwin In Financial Crisis?
An independent audit lists concerns about the financial future of one St. Mary Parish town.
According to Louisiana Legislative Auditor Daniel Purpera's office, an independent auditor expressed concern about whether the Town of Baldwin will be able to keep operating because of ongoing deficits that totaled more than $1.2 million at the end of fiscal year 2017.
Only one of the town's 18 findings from fiscal 2016 was resolved in fiscal year 2017.
The audit findings included a grocery list of issues including:
- financial statement adjustments that had to be made because of:unreconciled customer deposits and bank balances
- fund balance deficits
- unreconciled billings
- failure to maintain police tickets properly
- failure to assess service charges
- non-compliance with budget law requirements
- failure to make required monthly transfers for bond reserves
- failure to adjust utility rates
- improper tax use
The auditor noted the same findings in a 2014 Legislative Auditor Advisory Services Report that mirrored many of the findings in 2017.