New Year’s Eve usually means fireworks for a lot of people who want to celebrate. With that said, know that it is extremely dangerous and make sure you do it safely. A New Iberia man is recovering after losing four fingers on Christmas evening, according to KATC. Donald Williams was doing fireworks with family and friends when he had to be rushed to the hospital.  Williams now has severe damage to both hands. He is missing one finger on the right hand and three fingers on the left hand.

Michael Smith, Getty Images

Williams said he was trying to move a firework away from younger kids because he that it was a dud. When he grabbed it to throw it away, it blew up in his hand.

If you are planning on doing fireworks, the State Fire Marshal is urging people to follow these safety tips to avoid injuries or fire.

SAFETY TIPS FOR USING FIREWORKS:

  • Defuse a 'dud' firework with water, do not handle it in anyway
  • Detonate devices at least 200 feet away from structures, vehicles and rubbish
  • Never allow children to light fireworks
  • Never operate fireworks while impaired
  • Light devices one at a time and monitoring embers released with a bucket of water or hose nearby
  • Discard detonated items by wetting them down to prevent re-ignition and not disposing of them in a trash container immediately

A Go-Fund-Me has been set up for Williams as he is not able to work due to his injury. The fund is to help with his medical expenses.

10 Louisiana Laws You Don't Know You're Breaking