Scott Cleanup Day Set For May
Highway 90 in the City of Scott will be getting a little bit of TLC coming up on May 1.
Parish Proud, Bayou Vermilion District, and the City of Scott are teaming up for a cleanup event for Highway 90 on Saturday, May 1. In addition to the Bayou Vermilion District and Parish Proud, there are a multitude of organizations in Lafayette, Acadiana, and the rest of the state who work together to help clean up trash. You may not think about it, but litter ends up in our waterways including the Vermilion River. The biggest troublemaker of all is cigarette butts.
Anyone can volunteer to go out and clean, whether it's your organization or just you. Another event was held last month in Lafayette where hundreds of volunteers signed up to clean up University Avenue all the way from the University of Louisiana Lafayette to Interstate Ten.
So, people who love the city of Scott, you can get some friends and family together, and make plans to join in the cleanup event that Saturday. It starts at 8 o'clock and wraps up at 11 o'clock.
Here's what Parish Proud recommends that you bring with you when you participate:
- Be sure to wear closed-toe shoes.
- It's recommended that you bring a hat with you.
- Another good idea is to bring along some sunscreen
- You are required to wear a mask the entire time you are participating from the moment you park your car through the whole event.
Things I would recommend you consider bringing:
- A bottle of water or something for hydration.
- A towel in case you sweat.
- A positive attitude for all the good you are doing for the community.
Parish Proud provides some things for you as well so that you have the tools you need to get the cleanup job done. They are as follows:
- Parish Proud provides you will a reflective vest to wear during the event.
- The group makes sure you have plenty of trash bags for the event.
- Another essential that they provide is gloves so nothing will touch your hands as you are collecting rubbish.
- The most essential item is also provided to each volunteer and that's a litter grabber.
Did you know that any group, no matter how small or big, can work with Parish Proud to designate an area for a clean-up day? You can visit their website to find out more.
If you are planning to go to the event on May 1, you can register at the Facebook site for the event. All volunteers are asked to meet at the Lafayette Public Library Scott location which is on Old Spanish Trail road. You also have to sign a waiver to participate in any of the Parish Proud events. They will have a copy of the waivers at the event.
Tips On Fending Off Mosquitoes
Things That Remind Us Of Summer
Heatstroke Is Still Of Concern For Kids & Cars
Sounds Of Summer I Love
Things That You End Up With In Your Home