Summer Fun for Kids in Louisiana
We're at that point in summer where the kids might be getting restless, and Mom and Dad are running out of things to occupy them with until school starts. The folks at our state tourism department, Louisiana Travel, have some great suggestions for summertime kids activities, and we love just about all of these, at any time of year!
- USS Kidd and Veterans Memorial, Baton Rouge - a former WWII Navy destroyer, you can even camp aboard overnight
- Global Wildlife Center, Folsom - a 900 acre free roaming wildlife preserve
- Swamp Tours, all around Acadiana and New Orleans areas - seeing wildlife in its natural environment is kind of awesome!
- Acadian Village, Lafayette - walk through a beautiful setting of what Cajun life looked like in the 1800s
- Alexandria Zoological Park - centrally located, and you can even view alligators underwater in their natural habitat
- Sci-Port Louisiana's Science Center, Shreveport - IMAX Dome Theater and a laser Space Dome Planetarium
- Greenwood and Gators - known as the 'Gateway to Louisiana', and also home to the historic Dunn Home, once used a hospital in the Civil War
- Creole Nature Trail, Lake Charles - hiking, shelling, birding, and fishing in one of Louisiana's largest wetland areas
- Louisiana State Parks, Historic Sites, and Preservation Areas - you can stay at a cabin, camp, hike, and even make online reservations for these beautiful places
- Audubon Nature Institute, New Orleans - includes the Aquarium of the Americas, Butterfly Garden and Insectarium, and the Audubon Zoo