Hurricane Preparation Sales Tax Holiday This Memorial Day Weekend
With Hurricane Season two weeks away, we're already watching a tropical system in the Gulf. This Memorial Day Weekend Louisiana has a Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday as well, and here's what's included...
The Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday takes place this Saturday and Sunday. It applies to the first $1,500 of the purchase price of each of the following items:
- Any portable self-powered light source, including candles, flashlights and other articles of property designed to provide light;
- Any portable self-powered radio, two-way radio, or weather band radio;
- Any tarpaulin or other flexible waterproof sheeting;
- Any ground anchor system or tie-down kit;
- Any gas or diesel fuel tank;
- Any package of AAA-cell, AA-cell, C-cell, D-cell, 6 volt, or 9-volt batteries, excluding automobile and boat batteries;
- Any cell phone battery and any cell phone charger;
- Any nonelectric food storage cooler;
- Any portable generator used to provide light or communications or preserve food in the event of a power outage;
- Any storm shutter device;
- Any carbon monoxide detector; and
- Any reusable freezer pack such as "blue ice."
The tax exemption applies to Louisiana sales tax only. WWltv.com says "The full amount of any local sales tax is in effect unless the local taxing authority creates its own exemption."