Best Louisiana Po’ Boys Not in New Orleans
We live in a place that loves food, and since the humble po' boy is pretty much our state sandwich, we all have our favorite places to get a bite. For some reason, all the big websites seem to just focus on the restaurants in New Orleans that serve these delectable bits of Louisiana goodness, but we know that there are fabulous po' boys all over the great state of Louisiana!
Thrillist has compiled a list that spotlights all the wonderful po' boys that aren't anywhere near the Crescent City. Several are right here in Acadiana, and some of them look like places that I need to take a road trip to and try for myself!
- Herby K's - Shreveport - known for their Shrimp Buster, and onion rings
- Marilynn's Place - Shreveport - get the Geaux Tigers po' boy - andouille sausage, pepper jack cheese, and Tiger Sauce
- Olde Tyme Grocery - Lafayette - a Lafayette institution, right off the campus of UL Lafayette. Get the Olde Tyme Special, which is ham, turkey, roast beef, and Swiss cheese. And FYI - my favorite always!!
- Pop's Po Boy's - Lafayette - creative, fun and delcious choices. I love the Cajun Castro, which is Cajun roast pork, ham, Swiss cheese, smothered greens, fried pickles, Creole mustard
- Buffi's Peaux Boy's - Lake Charles - they put sliced, boiled potatoes on their po' boys, and are known for the shrimp remoulade sandwich, which sounds delicious
- Darrell's Famous Po' Boys - Lake Charles - homemade gravy, BBQ sauce, jalapeno mayonnaise, and butter sauce make their po boys succulent and heavenly. I love the Surf & Turf, which is roast beef and sauteed shrimp in roast beef gravy with butter sauce
- Poor Boy Lloyd's - Baton Rouge - known for their Rich Boy, which is half ham, half roast beef
- Pastime Restaurant - Baton Rouge - in business since the 1920's, this Baton Rouge jewel offers up the Canadian Po' Boy', which is a hamburger on french bread with Canadian Bacon. Yum
- Lucky's Po Boy's - Shreveport - Get the Bubba, which is spicy shrimp sauteed in butter sauce
- The Chimes - Baton Rouge - outside the gates of LSU, this popular spot is home to the New Orleans style BBQ shrimp po boy,smothered with spicy butter sauce
- Bayou Blue Po' Boys - Houma - get the Who Dat Burger po' boy, which is a burger on french bread with melted cheese, mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, BBQ sauce, mustard, pickles, grilled onions, and fried onion rings
- Mr. Po' Boy - Houma - famous for their New Orleans style roast beef po' boys, smothered in debris. And even if you're not from Louisiana, trust me, the debris is the best part!
- Danny & Clyde's - Thibodaux - overstuffed shrimp po' boys in a gas station. What could be more Louisiana than that?