Watch Out For Skimmers On Gas Pumps
Two men, Osmanys Fernandez Barzaga and Amaury Nunez Guerrero, were arrested for allegedly putting skimmers on several fuel pumps at a local gas station.
The Lafayette Police Department did not release the name and location of the gas station.
Officials with Lafayette Police and the Secret Service office out of Baton Rouge reviewed surveillance footage regarding the case.
A skimmer is a device which captures bank card data to be used fraudulently.
Lafayette Police officials say to help protect your information you should do the following:
- Always check for signs of tampering when using a remote pay device or an ATM
- If something looks odd about the device then don't use it
- Always monitor your accounts for fraudulent transactions
- Assume someone is always watching so use your opposite hand to shield while entering your pin number
- Never let something like this go unreported to police
Anyone with information about skimming scams should contact the Lafayette Police Department or Lafayette Crime Stoppers at 232-TIPS(8477).